The soffit is what you call the extension ceiling of the roof located outside the house. To put it simply, the soffit is the finishing material placed below the roof overhang that provides proper ventilation to the roof. Although it is not directly facing harsh weather conditions, like the roof or the walls, it can still get damaged over time.
This article will tell you what these common causes of damage are and the consequences of a ruined soffit.
What Causes Soffit Damage
Reason 1: Water Not Draining Properly
The soffit can rot if it can no longer block out water coming inside the roof or the moisture coming from harsh weather conditions. Here are some other causes of improper water drainage:
- Clogged gutters, leading to overflowing water coming inside the roof
- Improper installation of the drip edge
- Missing drip edge, leading the water to free flow from the channels to the house
- Insufficient gutter slope or too narrow pitch, allowing the water to flow through the downspouts
Sometimes, the soffit damage can be the cause of water leaks inside the house. So as soon as you notice any signs of this damage, make sure to call for a repair immediately.
Reason 2: Blocked Downpipes
Downpipes are the fixed pipes responsible for carrying the rainwater and wastewater from the roof and the building to its drainage system. When it is blocked, it can also affect the soffit. Just like the gutter, the downpipes are prone to getting debris, twigs, and other materials blocking their way. When that happens, water would eventually overflow, resulting in some splashing that could reach the soffit panels.
This presence of moisture can compromise the quality of the panels. Eventually, that could lead to cracks, moulds, or the beginning of its rotting. As much as possible, it would be best if you keep the whole soffit and fascia from getting wet to avoid compromising their functionalities.
Reason 3: Presence of Pests and Insects
Even these tiny creatures can cause massive damage to the soffit panels. Pests and insects love building their sanctuary somewhere away from humans and in small gaps that not anyone could easily reach. That is what makes roofs one of their favourite dwellings.
The mere going to one location, then back to their nest, can already bring pressure to the supposedly untouched soffit panels. As a result, the material can weaken over time. Some of these pests even love making holes or munching wood that adds to the panel’s deterioration.
How to Keep Soffit Panels Safe
Here are some ways you can ensure that your soffit panels would be damage-free for a long time:
- Make sure that your gutter is blockage-free. Clean it regularly.
- Do the same thing for your downspouts. Ensure that it is free from any dirt and debris.
- Conduct regular pest and insect control service in your house. A little inspection now and then would not hurt. It could even save your house from all kinds of damage.
- Include the soffit and fascia in your inspection checklist during roof and house maintenance. Look for any signs of damage, such as cracks, holes, peeling paint, and the like.
When you notice damage signs to your soffit, make sure to have them replaced immediately. Not doing anything could only lead to the worsening of its condition. When it gets damaged, other parts of the house and its durability would also be compromised. The soffit can no longer perform its function of preventing humidity and harsh temperature from coming inside the house.
If your house needs soffit repair in Ottawa, specifically in Barrhaven, Kanata, Nepean, and Orleans, contact us at Gillespie Handyman Services. Our company has over 15 years of experience in the home improvement industry, promising to bring out the best in your property. All of our quality works come with a labour warranty of up to one year because we value our clients and outputs so much. Get a free quote today.