Regardless of how you use your bathroom space, there are a bunch of elements that need to be controlled to ensure that your bathroom is safe and functions properly. While it doesn’t look it, your bathroom caulking is part of the overlooked components that need tender love, and care too.
Many homeowners tend to forget to recaulk their bathrooms since it’s something that doesn’t necessarily grab anyone’s attention at first glance. However, without proper maintenance, it can contribute to a plethora of bathroom issues and could even ruin the aesthetics of your bathroom.
Because of this, many homeowners prefer to call in handyman services in Ottawa, like Gillespie Handyman Services. This way, all their bathroom, kitchen, and other home improvement woes will be covered, and you can sleep well knowing that your home is well taken care of.
If you’re still confused about when bathroom recaulking, keep reading. In this article, we’ll share with you everything you need to know about bathroom recaulking, when you need it and how to replace it. Let’s get to it!
What is Caulk?
Caulk is a thick and flexible adhesive material that serves as a sealant and glue. This material is applied along joints using a gun and cures and contracts while it dries.
Often used in bathrooms, caulk can be applied around sinks and faucets, along the top of the tub and its surroundings, on tiles that meet the ceilings, showerheads, and bathtub faucets, on the vanity, the top of the backsplash, and many more.
How Long Does Caulks Last?
Generally, caulk usually lasts for about five years. However, many factors can quicken replacements. Some of which include the following:
- The quality and type of caulk used;
- How it was applied;
- Condition of the surface where it was applied;
- Humidity levels in the room;
- Presence of mold or mildew;
- Regular cleaning practices;
Because you can easily miss these factors, it’s best to work with handyman services in Ottawa, such as Gillespie Handyman, to ensure that the proper application techniques and high-quality products are being used.
What Signs Should I Look Out For to Know When I Need to Recaulk?
Regardless of the quality of caulk you use and how you apply the material, you’ll need to replace it over time over time. Here are some signs that you need to watch out for:
- Mold or mildew is growing beneath the surface. This means there is water leakage;
- Your caulk is more than five years old;
- Your caulk is dried out, cracking, and peeling;
If you notice that your caulk begins to peel within 12 months of application, then you might’ve used material that isn’t made for bathroom use and should be replaced immediately.
How Do Your Replace Bathroom Caulking?
Ideally, you want an expert handyman to replace your bathroom caulking for you. Besides knowing what type of material to use, they’ll also use the proper techniques for correct application.
However, it’s still a good idea to know exactly what goes on when experts recaulk your bathroom.
What You Need:
- Razor scraper;
- Single-edged razor blades;
- Caulk remover;
- Utility knife;
- Paper towels;
- Mineral spirits;
- Kitchen and bathroom caulking;
- Caulk gun;
- Remove the old caulk using the utility knife; be careful not to damage the surrounding areas. If there are stubborn areas, use the caulk remover, scrape it off, and wipe it with a rag.
- Remove loose grout and treat the mold or mildew.
- Clean the area with mineral spirits and let the area dry thoroughly.
- Insert the caulk into the caulk gun and cut the tip accordingly.
- Apply a thin caulk, wet your finger, and smoothen it onto the area.
- With a damp rag, wipe off the excess caulk.
- After that, allow the caulk to dry for 24 hours before you can use your bathroom again.
The Bottom Line: Every Aspect of Your Bathroom is Important, Even Its Caulking Needs Maintenance
Caulking can do loads in keeping the integrity of your bathroom. So once you’re noticing signs of wear and tear, it’s time for you to replace them with new and stronger material. Ideally, you want handyman services in Ottawa like Gillespie Handyman to help you out with this meticulous replacement. That way, you can ensure that your caulk is applied correctly and with the best material.
Are You Looking for Handyman Services in Ottawa?
Home improvements and maintenance not only require time and effort, but you need to be skilled and knowledgeable to properly maintain and make quality home improvements. Thankfully, Gillespie Handyman can give you a hand with your home improvement needs.
We offer a wide range of high-quality home improvement services at incredibly competitive prices. If your home needs some fixing, give us a call today