With homeownership comes a list of responsibilities – and taking care of home repairs is usually right at the top. Of course, there are some repairs that you probably shouldn’t do yourself. Most electrical jobs, plumbing renovations, roof work, and any projects that you’re not entirely sure about should all be left to the pros. That being said, there are plenty of projects you can and should be able to do for yourself.
If you’re planning on taking on some DIY projects, it’s a great idea to make sure you have the right tools on hand. Here’s a guide to some of the essential tools every homeowner should have.
Ten DIY Home Repair Tools to Put in Your Toolbox
Make your projects easier and faster by creating a DIY home repair tool kit and stashing it in your garage, basement, or closet. When a project emerges, you’ll have everything you need in one convenient place. Most of your simpler home repair projects can be completed with these ten essential tools.
- Hammer. Whether you’re hanging up a shelf or assembling a new piece of furniture, a quality hammer is a must-have. Versatile, cheap, and simple to use, your hammer is the foundation of your toolkit. Whether you go for straight or curved claw, a fiberglass or metal handle, make sure to find one with a comfortable grip.
- Screwdriver. One of the most used tools, you’ll be grateful to have a variety of screwdrivers next time you need to tighten up your favorite chair or replace an outlet plate. Splurge for a set of Phillips and flat-heads, and you’ll be surprised at how easy your projects become.
- Adjustable wrench. Nuts and bolts are no match against a quality wrench. While you can buy a set of wrenches in different sizes, an adjustable wrench is a great all-in-one tool that is perfect or most jobs.
- Utility knife. Keep your handy utility knife around for projects like replacing carpeting or wallpaper or even just for opening taped boxes and bags. Utility knives have retractable and replaceable blades, making them longer lasting and safer than regular knives.
- Drill. Power tools are great, but if you have to pick one, go for the drill. Versatile, convenient, and powerful, a drill will make your DIY home projects much easier. Cordless drills are great for projects that span a large area.
- Pliers. A great multipurpose tool, pliers can be used for everything from removing nails from a wall to bending wires or sheet metal. Make sure to include options like needle-nose, locking, long-nose, and adjustable pliers.
- Tape measure. You’ve heard the saying measure twice, cut once? It’s a truth that we stand by. A quality tape measure is a great tool to have on hand when building, renovating, remodeling, or repairing. A durable tape measure can save you time and money on your project.
- Flashlight. You never know when a project will leave you in the dark. A small, durable flashlight or headlamp will help you when the lights go out or when you have to venture into a tight space.
- Tape. For basic repairs or temporary fixes, duct tape is your best friend. Strong, cheap, and readily available, use it to patch a hole in a pipe or repair a broken handle. The possibilities are endless.
- Level. This tool provides an easy way to ensure your pictures, shelves, and cabinets are all hanging straight. The simplest levels use floating bubbles to indicate when a surface is flat and very cost-efficient. If you want to upgrade, laser levels are another great option.
Put Your Project in Good Hands with Gillespie Handyman Services
Putting together a toolkit full of DIY home repair tools is sure to be a lifesaver when a small home repair is needed. But if you find yourself missing some essential tools or aren’t sure if you can complete a project on your own, we’re here for you.
Gillespie Handyman Services is proud to offer a variety of home repairs and handyman services for our clients in the Ottawa area. Whether you need to restore your gutters, mend some concrete, or repair siding, we can help! We specialize in siding, fascia, soffit, and gutters, but our team of professional handymen will be glad to assist with any project you have.
Contact us today to receive a quote. Whether the job is big or small, our expert team can handle it all!